Monday, April 26, 2010

The Lambs are Coming, The Lambs are Coming (Blogcation info below)

We are very excited about lambs around here. Below is the tiniest little Corsican Ewe Lamb - she is about 18 hours old here. No name yet, but she stands about 9" tall.

Here she is with her twin sister. The brown colored one is a Corsican Jamaican Black Belly and the all black one called a Black Hawaiian. The Corsican breed has several variations, and their father is a purebred Corsican Black Hawaiian. This breed is raised both for the horns that the males have as well as meat and hair. The little black one was found outside the pen underneath a wheelbarrow! not quite sure how that happened, but she still had placenta on her so we are figuring her mom had her in either a strange manner or she managed to get out of the fence. Luckily, during lambing, we are checking every few hours and it has been warm, so the little girl was just fine. However, momma, Pancakes, was not happy about the situation. They are all together now.
This little guy is a purebred Jacob's Sheep. He is about 4 hours old and has a twin brother. Remember in the Bible when Jacob get all the speckled and spotted sheep from his father in law's flock - these Jacobs sheep are descendents of those as they are speckled and spotted as well. So far, all of ours are 4 horned Jacobs (they can have up to 6 horns as well).
This lamb also has the same sire as the little guy above, only he is 1/3 Dorper and 2/3 Jacobs. It appears the Dorper color gene is dominant, however, he does have four horns coming. He is 2 days old here.
Now here is little Runna. She is a crossbred - her father is Corsican and her mother is a Jacob-Dorper cross. She is a friendly little girl, but likes poop on whoever picks her up :).

Blogcation - final week before NSD Drawing!! You can find past week's information here, or go to Scrapbooking Fun to look through posts. Remember - Grand Prize is a set of Vacation/Travel themed items. Sorry for the changes, however, life things have made it difficult to have a new project each week. We will just go with the five and over NSD I will post the sketch/layout using the items created.

This week - still using monochromatics, however, I was shopping at retreat and couldn't resist picking up some core'dinations green paper to use with this challenge. I am having a lot of fun experimenting with this paper and will be teaching an on-line class using several techniques and creating a layout over at Scrapbooking Fun May 21st - I think the time is 9 pm.

Today's project is a tag. First, I start with a standard 2 1/2 x 5" mailing type tag from an office supply store. You can cut your own, but these were inexpensive and I love the size.

Next - cover the tag with your choice of paper (I will be speaking in "greens" as that is what I have selected). Remember - check scraps first!


Next, I found a tag project/challenge I really like over at Sketches 4 All that I will be altering to fit my monochromatic parameters. I don't have green mist, so will be using green paint and "flicking" instead. I had some rather large splots of paint, so I pressed the excess off. Not quite what the challenge requested, but I had fun :).

Next, I am using a piece of my core'dinations paper and doing some dry embossing with an embossing folder. Once embossed, gently sand away part of the color from the raised portion of the image. I am also ripping the sides for a multi-color look rather than the burned look used in the sample (I do like the burnt edge look, just not for the tag I am creating). Next, I added some green paper ribbon, then I adhered the embossed and ripped piece onto another piece of green, distressed the edges of the backing and adhered the entire piece to my tag. Then I added some fun green fiber to the top.

Finally, I had planned on frog eyelets, but they were too small, so back to the drawing board. I settled for a flower and a few skittles instead. I think that in the final layout, I may have to add a bird or something, but will see. Thanks for joining in the fun!

No comments: